Thursday, October 04, 2007

I heart Seoul

Seoul really was therapy for my city-thirsty self. I will attach pictures tomorrow. Hannah and Petra and I went in for the day yesterday since there was no school for the Korean Independence Day. Most impressive to me was the steady stretch of street vendors along every sidewalk. Korean dumplings and chestnuts and delightfully unpronoucable streetside delicacies were all the rage block after block. I just might get fat in this country, or maybe die of a salt overdose.
But, sadly, all I could think as I walked street after street was how badly I wish I were living in Seoul for the year. Because, I must again clarify that it is not the country of Korea that is ticking me off so incessantly, it is the system of the school that I been unavoidably baptisted widemouthed into. I think I would thrive in Seoul. But I'm not certain (the pessimist in me) if I can thrive in the situation I am in. I will try.
Today I was whisked away to another church school, where (I think, if I understand correctly) I am to be every Thursday morning. The problem is, the teachers speak no English (at all). So today, in my first trial by fire, I was dropped off at the school, introduced by name and then left alone for 2 hours with zero English speakers, 2 teachers and 18 small children who, for whatever reason, found deep joy in kicking my shins. I have no idea what I was supposed to be doing. When I was dropped off, I was told to "observe". However, 5 minutes into "observing", the teacher waved me to the front and starting pointing at me, as if it was some international cue for me to do something. I kept saying, "what? what?" Finally, she gave up, motioned me back to my seat and (I assume?) apologized profusely to me in Korean. Or maybe she was scolding me. Couldn't tell you. I wish I spoke Korean.
Then, I was driven home. At noon. To again "take the day off", so that I can rest up and be successful here. Which, I'm not going to lie, I'm not complaining, and I am certainly not the silent martyr type who refuses such luxuries as a day off, but I feel like I might die in this tiny apartment surrounded by only a few houses, rice fields and mountains that stretch forever.
I still don't actually have internet access, just a faint trace of wireless that I have found if I press myself up against my window. So, if feel emotionally, technologically and linguistically secluded right now.
And I can't help but wonder how much happier I would be if only this crazy gig were an hour west of here, in a city called Seoul that I fell fast in love with yesterday.

1 comment:

Kara said...

So, I laughed out loud here when you were telling about teaching at the completely English-free school. I mostly lauged when you said you got to the front of the room and just said, "What? What?" Because I could so hear your voice with kind of a nervous-awkward laugh and see the exact look you were giving the lady. You are hilarious.