Friday, February 08, 2008

4 cakes and word about Koreans and their birthdays

The 3 kids above (Kevin, Ashley, Chloe) are the 3 kids that I would try to fit into my suitcase to take home with me if only I had no moral conscience about stealing children and a lifestyle that would allow for three 5 year olds at the present time. But seriously, at 2 and a half feet tall these 3 have won my unashamed favoritism.


once a month, we celebrate all the birthdays of that month. this week, there were 4 kids with upcoming february birthdays. so, we had 4 cakes, as well as other exciting goodies as each parent tried to show up the other parents with the best spread for their 4 year old. but hey, who's complaining. for the teachers it means free cake, plus leftovers.

Korean birthdays/Korean "age":
This, my friends, is rather complicated. Brace yourself.
I am 26 years old. I was born in December of 1981. However, by Korean math, I am actually 28 years old. It is, I think, the only culture that wants to be older their entire life. When you are born here, you are immediately one year old.. So, at that rate, I would currently be 27. But there is more. At the turn of the new year, everyone becomes their next year older. So, because I am a December baby, I am basically two years older than I really am for 11 months of the year, my whole life.
My Korean friend Eunice is, by Korean standards, 29. However, she was born 2 weeks later than my sister, who is 27. Weird, eh? No, no, just different. :)
It's taken me the 4 months I've been here to bring light on this age mystery, but I think I have finally got it all figured out.
But, once you're in Korea for awhile, you find yourself always saying, "now, is that Korean age or real age?". And, in my opinion, it certain makes teaching a little confusing and complicated.
We've got "five year old" kids who are really what, 3? And we wonder why they are wetting their pants.
Welcome to Korea.

No comments: