Friday, February 08, 2008

happy new year?
















here in good ol' Korea, the most important New Year to celebrate is the Lunar one. Which, incidentally occurred these last 3 days. It's strange indeed to be greeted with a "happy new year" on what feels like a one month delay.
But, this is Korea.
And so, I celebrate what they tell me to, when they tell me to. And, I do it without complaint because, there was no school Wednesday thru Friday of this week.
This past 24 hours, in my quest to be Korean, I ticked a few experiences off the "how to be a Korean" list. While staying at a Korean teacher's house, I can now say that I have done the following:
1. eaten spicy soup and chicken and spinach for breakfast.
2. slept on the floor in a house without beds. :)
3. celebrated new years in february.
4. have helped to make Korean Mandoo dumplings from scratch.

High five to me.

oh, we also (my Korean teacher friend and her family and me) climbed some big mountain (Mt Yongmunsan) with cool Buddhist Temples at the top. And, for the future, I will not forget that increased altitude=decreased temperatures. Dang, it was cold up there.

p.s.: this Korean teacher friend, whose English name is Hannah, not to be confused with the other teacher friend named Hannah, who left in December, lives on a "farm" and raises pigs. in case the pig picture threw you off.

No comments: