Wednesday, May 07, 2008

one word: balut

balut.

it was probably the strangest thing i've ever eaten.
in case you've never heard of it, follow the link to be educated.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut

i just didn't expect to have this Philipino specially in my apartment in korea.
rizza, our Philipino representative at school went to "little manila" in seoul this past weekend and brought back some balut for me to eat with her.

this was easily the freakiest culinary experience i've had to date. easily.

i apologize, these photos are a bit graphic for the vegetarian-type.

First, you peel it (trying not to look too close at the details) partially

Then, you drink the juice inside the shell

Then, you peel the rest (again, trying desperately to not look to closely...yes, that is a little leg). we dipped the egg in vinegar, i did what rizza told me to do.
I look horrified and then, pleasantly surprised.

And lastly, i pose triumphantly with rizza and my empty bowl.

No comments: